On Tue, 09.10.12 09:56, Simo Sorce (s...@redhat.com) wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 15:23 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > Remind me again of the reason why we are still shipping rsyslog by
> > > default now that we have the journal?
> >
> > For F19 I plan to submit a feature asking for not installing syslog by
> > default anymore. I wonder how far I'll get with this before this is
> > shut down by the conservatives... ;-)
>
> Does systemd journal populate /var/log/messages ?

No. It doesnt.

> I already found myself stranded in F18 a couple of times.
> Stuff changed and there is no way to discover how to fix things.

Well, making changes means, well, making changes. Sure it is a bit of a
learning involved if we make changes, but it should always be our goal
to make the learning easy rather than just sticking to the old ways,
because we are afraid of making these changes. More specifically a good
approach here could be to include an almost empty /var/log/messages that
just tells you to invoke "journalctl" instead. Alternatively we could
just add a /var/log/README with the same info.

(Actually, it has been on my TODO list for a while to add
/etc/rc.d/init.d/README with similar info, I just never came around to
actually do it.)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.