On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Michael Stahnke wrote:

I (we) completely realize this isn't totally awesome either.  This is
a problem when you have a distributed application that is trying to
support the widest variety of host populations we can.

This request was brought to us by community members, Red Hat
employees, and business partners as well.

I am happy to discuss other soutions/ideas too though.  I am not 100%
convinced my proposal is the best.

I'm less worried about the people requesting the newness b/c they clearly want change. I'm worried about the people who run rhel b/c they fear change.

Perhaps they aren't likely to run epel, except it feels like they will run epel..... b/c it is pushed so hard by all the el6's.

I agree it is a suboptimal solution. Hey, since you work for puppetlabs - I have a new idea - make them maintain backward compat with 2.6 :)

That solves the problem for everyone, right?

-sv