On 11/2/12 3:18 PM, Anthony Green wrote:
Several months ago I attempted to upgrade libffi 3.0.10 to 3.0.11.
The change was reverted because the soname change in this version of
the library broke the build environment.  I would still like to get
3.0.11 in Fedora.  I don't anticipate any future ABI-breaking
changes, and 3.0.12 will include additional ports like Aarch64, which
is likely of interest to some Fedora developers.  How do we
coordinate a rebuild for dependent packages?  Also, I assume this
will have to wait 'til F18 is out (fine by me), but I'd like to deal
with it early in the F19 cycle.

It looks like libffi is emitted into the minimal buildroot (rpm-build -> pkg-config -> glib2 -> libffi), so during the transition we'll need to build both sonames of libffi. It might be worth keeping a compat-libffi around for a release or two anyway, the current soname has a _long_ history.

After that, though, the rebuilds should be pretty straightforward, it looks like all affected source packages are provenpackager+. The caveat might be things like ghc which generate their prov/reqs based on a sha hash of, well, something; if that something includes the list of DT_NEEDED then we might be looking at a rebuild of many more things. But even that should be straightforward if tedious.

- ajax