On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Adam Williamson <awill...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 16:27 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> >
>> > To this point, NetworkManager has failed to gain basic bridge support.
>> > In the meantime, Open vSwitch, which has a ton more configuration
>> > options has been recently added to the distro.
>> >
>> > I'd argue that NM actually continues to fall farther behind.
>>
>> Yeah, I love NetworkManager until it bites me - I've lost count of how
>> many times I've been in a coffee shop and had to use 'sudo nmcli con
>> del id' to get back online. ;-)
>
> SCOPE CREEP ALARM! AWOOGA! AWOOGA!
>
> Unless you actually think the network scripts are a better way of
> managing casual wireless connections, I think this is a bit out of
> scope, as we can already chalk up 'casual wireless connections' in the
> 'win' column for NetworkManager - it's already better than
> network.service at that. it may not be *perfect*, but it's *better*.
>
> The context here is not 'let's all get our NM pet peeves out of our
> systems', but 'what does network.service still do better than NM, and
> how long is it going to take to fix that?'
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

In the current context, a minimal Fedora, I'd argue that
NetworkManager is overkill too. An openSUSE / SUSE Studio JEOS or
server appliance defaults to some kind of DHCP client built on top of
whatever the base networking tools are in openSUSE. You have to
specifically *ask* for NetworkManager if you want it. I don't even
think the bridge tools are included at that minimalist level. You get
a firewall, yes, and DHCP too but ssh is optional - you probably have
to go in with 'vi' from the console and edit configuration files to
make networking happen beyond that.

While we're on the subject of minimalism, does yum default to
installing "suggested" packages on top of required ones?

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench:

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?