On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:01:03 +0000
Ian Malone <ibmal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course in trying to do that what we were really trying to do was
> amend the defaults users would get on the installed system. Some of
> this we were able to achieve through /etc/skel files, but that's a
> non-scaling and fragile solution as already mentioned. Some was
> originally attempted by modifying firstboot modules (a no-no that is
> not in the approved spin).
>
> Since we had planned to try and find better solutions with the spins
> and engineering teams once the release was out and since ansible
> sounds like it can provide some of them (and since the F18 release is
> now final - congratulations to everyone who worked hard through
> /that/), here are the Music-creation/Jam spin quirks for a case study:
>
> KDE favourites:
> For a spin (or formula) it makes sense that the favourites should
> reflect the spin (or formula) focus. The kickstart updates this
> through /etc/skel/.kde/share/config/kickoffrc and
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/livesys (on the live sytem the installer is a
> favourite, so these two are slightly different).

favourites are like 'what app runs to handle uri's' and such?

> Audio group permissions:
> Needed for Jack real-time, usermod commands are added to
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/livesys so in the live system the liveuser is in
> 'jackuser' and 'audio'. We can't push this in the installed system at
> the moment. (This is one of the parts that had been done with the
> firstboot modules, piggybacking on the add-to-administrator group
> function. Additionally to modifying files it shouldn't, that simple
> approach is also not very compatible with translations.)

Yeah, a user running a formula could have this done to their user I
would think, as long as we don't have guidelines preventing it.

> Desktop themeing:
> Related to KDE favourites above, though of less functional importance.
> Again this is currently handled by having a package for the spin
> themes which owns an /etc/skel file that allows us to set the default
> themes (KDE desktop theme and splash). This is not really a problem
> that desktop spins have (since by definition they have their own
> independent themes), but for other spins or formulae being able to
> tweak the default look slightly gives some sense of individual
> identity for the spin itself and also a degree of user-hinting about
> the environment they're using.

Sure, that could be an optional thing too...
'do you want the themes from ...'

> From my brief skim of the Formula proposal it looks like it can do all
> of these. If you can also do a headless/non-interactive setup
> targetted at liveuser then presumably it could just be run by the
> kickstart during creation of a livecd/dvd (i.e. so things are already
> set up in the disk image, you'd then have to run it again during the
> actual install, but I think it would be an advantage to not have to do
> this every time you start a live image without persistent storage).

Yeah, how it would interact with live creation/install is something to
hash out.

kevin