On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:47:18 +0000,
  "\"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson\"" <johan...@gmail.com> wrote:
b)

We QA have alot of QA community members testing this so this does NOT require any additional effort or cause additional LOAD on the QA community.

Aren't they just testing an upgrade of the default install?

I don't think people are doing any automated testing of proper obsoletes for dropped packages, though most problems could probably be detected.
And this still doesn't handle dropped packages that are being replaced.

yum upgrade is equally broken from my pov as preupgrade or fedup thus to me we can just as well "support" two failed upgrade mechanism or non et all.

Anaconda does some tricks that get packages installed even when there are problems that don't get handled by a normal yum update. (Or at least used to. (With the move toward not using special stuff in anaconda, maybe this isn't true any more.)