My point is that it'd be nice to improve the upgrades. I love upgrades---I love the shiny new toys and I hate them for the disruption they always bring, at someone else's schedule. As you say, there are good reasons why it's what it is now, and maybe you're right that it can't be significantly changed. I am just trying to think what COULD be done, because such improvements would benefit regular updates ('yum update') as well.

There is no sane way to determine all these dependencies, because many
of them are never explicit, and only temporary in nature. Well written
apps load a lot of resources lazily. That has the side effect that you
can never know those deps, until they are actually needed.

You are right, can't be solved with the simplistic approach I discussed--it would have to be more complex than that. This of course is true of any upgrade, even the routine 'yum update', so improving this situation is desirable even if one disagrees about distribution upgrades.

We know what resources we had and what we replaced them with. Perhaps we could at least tag the running processes that will need restarting and notify the users/administrators.

"kernel is hardest"? Yuck. Kernel is not feasible. And much of the rest
isn't either.

So kernel is out. DHCP is definitely possible. The others are somewhere in between. My point again is that I think the upgrades are a sore point for the users and it'd be nice to improve the process. If indeed this can't be done properly, then the second best is a fall-back of having the infrastructure to do it anyway and notify the user about which pieces need special attention.