On 25 Jan 2013, at 14:23, Simo Sorce wrote:

Ah, so you have to reboot anyway, so where is the difference between
your approach and proper offline updates then? Either way you have to
interrupt your work to reboot the machine. One just takes a slight bit
longer for rebooting...

A) One single reboot you do after not upfront.

If you are on a server logged in via ssh you can often keep doing some
work while most of the system is being updated and you can more easily
remote updates.

B) I will *not* trust an update system that cuts me out of my remote
server and make me *hope* it will come up later. If yum freaks out for
*whatever* reason I want to be there with an emergency shell open via
ssh to try to recover the system. Not have to call the colocation and
figure out what happened from possibly missing logs *if the system boots
at all*.

I've been saved more than once by a shell open during changes in the
configuration or upgrades, that is non-negotiable to me.

I do the same for the same reasons.

C) Not all updates require immediate reboot.
If I am updating the kernel and some minor package, I can as well decide to reboot at the end of the day, rarely the update is so critical I have
to reboot NOW!

For normal updates, yes. But I would not start an upgrade from one Fedora release to another at an "inconvenient time" and then wait to reboot hours later.

In this discussion of whether "yum upgrade" would be enhanced alongside FedUp, I had assumed that FedUp would only be used for upgrading from one Fedora release to the next, not for regular software updates. Is that assumption wrong?

--
Mike