On 15/02/13 05:44 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
On 15/02/13 03:02, Adam Williamson wrote:

On 08/02/13 01:36 PM, Pete Travis wrote:

I haven't poked at mediawiki in a while, so please correct me if I'm
wrong, but isn't it fairly self contained? I recall copying the content
from /usr/share/ to /var/www/ then localizing. Having a new version
shouldn't break existing deployments unless they are served out of
/usr/share/, and that doesn't seem sane. The update would then be
available, not imposed.

I may be misunderstanding you, but I _think_ you've got the wrong end of
the stick here. Fedora webapps are indeed packaged to be served out of
/usr/share/whatever . They ship with /etc/httpd/conf.d config files
which point to the /usr/share location where they are installed. This is
all by policy and How It's Supposed To Be. Only files that absolutely
need to be actually inside /var/www for some reason or another are
supposed to be packaged there. In general, the idea is that webapp files
are just static data files like any others and belong in /usr/share .
See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Web_Applications .

You're both kind of right - the README.RPM file that comes in the
mediawiki package tells you to run "mw-createinstance <path>" to create
an instance and that sets up a document root in the specified path by
both copying some files, like LocalSettings.php, and symlinking others
to the /usr/share code.

Huh. That sounds...interesting. I haven't run mediawiki itself, so I wasn't aware of that, I was just referring to my general knowledge of how webapps are packaged in Fedora (e.g. wordpress, which I do run). Thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey