On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 17:59:50 +0100, Honza Horak <hho...@redhat.com> wrote:

On 03/06/2013 02:44 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Norvald H. Ryeng
<norvald.ry...@oracle.com> wrote:
In practice, this means that it will be almost impossible to install MySQL
in Fedora. The recipe in the feature page [1] requires the user to

1. edit yum.conf to set excludes=mariadb* and obsoletes=0,
2. run yum shell to replace the packages, and
3. edit yum.conf again to remove obsoletes=0.

I think that the above recipe wasn't updated for the package rename;
with the new name, a simple "yum install MySQL" should work.  Honza,
is that how it was designed?

Yes, the feature page has been updated to correspond with the renaming of mysql package. Shortly, users will be able to install MySQL-server in a usual way (yum remove mariadb-server ; yum install MySQL-server).

What is a bit different -- MySQL-server requires "mysql" virtual symbol to have utilities like mysql, mysqldump, etc. These are by default provided by package mariadb, so it means MySQL-server will require mariadb base package (in the same manner as all other packages in Fedora, which need mysql client utilities).

I believe the tools should match the server. I.e, MariaDB tools for MariaDB server, MySQL tools for MySQL server. I believe there are already minor protocol differences between MariaDB and MySQL. Having a MySQL server without fully working admin tools is not good.

The FESCo decision from the minutes was:
feature owners are asked to make it possible to install the MySQL stand-alone server (only)
so dependencies on the client libraries are not a concern; Fedora
packages are expected to use the MariaDB client libraries.

Everything that depends on mysql will then require mariadb to
be installed, but having both mariadb and MySQL at the same time is not
going to work unless the files in the mariadb packages are renamed.

File conflicts within the server packages might still be a concern, I
don't know.  Per the decision quoted above, FESCo would prefer the
maintainers of the two servers to agree on a solution.

I believe conflicting server packages are not an issue -- users will be able to use one or another.

I disagree. The best example of this not working is the akonadi-mysql package which now depends directly on mariadb-server. This makes it impossible/very much harder to install MySQL on a KDE desktop. Also, there are applications depending on mysql or mysql-server. If the MySQL packages aren't allowed to provide those virtual provides, it will be impossible to use those applications with MySQL.

The best would be to make the packages non-conflicting, either completely separate or using alternatives to set a default.

Regards,

Norvald H. Ryeng