On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 20:33 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:
> >   As an user, some way to, but mostly adding some policy, to have multiple
> > sonames of a library installed. Usually only useful to avoid a window of
> > time
> > with broken dependencies, but sometimes useful to have some package
> > that only works with an older version of some library functional, without
> > blocking an update.
>
> Seconded. Although old and possibly insecure libraries shouldn't be kept
> around indefinitely, it really ought to be possible to keep the
> previous version available for some time. We already do it with kernels,
> so doing it with libraries can't be too difficult. There must be a
> better way to handle soname bumps like the one in LibPNG that is being
> discussed right now.
>
> If automatic cleanup of dependencies gets implemented, then an old
> version of a library should be removed when no installed packages
> require it anymore.

I don't see why handling this on the package management side seems
advisable. We already have a perfectly reasonable distro mechanism for
shipping multiple sonames of a library if we want to do that. We just
try to avoid it wherever possible, because it's not a good idea.

I'm not a genius, but I can't see a way to do this on the package
management side which wouldn't be a horrible hack job.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey