On Tue, 16.07.13 11:37, Nicolas Mailhot (nicolas.mail...@laposte.net) wrote:

> Le Lun 15 juillet 2013 15:47, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
>
> > There's the general problem that once /var is read-only we cannot really
> > store logs anywhere anymore that survive the reboot. On our TODO list is
> > to optionally store all logs generated beyond that point in some UEFI
> > variable, and collect it on next boot.
>
> BTW another case I've seen where systemd disappointed be, that's when in
> case of problem, instead of trying to salvage logs at the next boot, it
> just considers the log file corrupted and ignores it. (there was a useless
> message about it, I have zero wish to try to salvage a binary data file
> manually)

I am pretty sure that is just a misunderstanding. Note that journald
(i.e. the *server* side) will immediately move away (i.e. "rotate") all
journal files that it finds have not been set to "offline" when it
starts up before writing, in order to make sure that it will not
interfere with journal files that are incompletely written (possibly
further corrupting them). However journalctl (i.e. the *client* side)
will still access the file, and interleave it with all others it finds,
and show it to you as far as that's possible.

So yeah, you could say that journald will 'ignore' the file. But
journalctl won't, it will show them to you. And that's *good* that
way. That's how it *should* be.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.