On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 15:06 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, john.flor...@dart.biz <john.flor...@dart.biz> said:
> > While I'm no more important than the next guy, I'll defend the auto-pager
> > feature of both git and journalctl.  I love it, in fact.  I'm no stranger
> > to very long pipelines and sub-shells but I see nothing but benefit in not
> > having to add "| less" routinely to things that are UI in nature.
>
> My primary objection is that I don't like things that have differing
> behavior between a TTY and a pipe.  One problem is if you are writing a
> script to process output from something, you'll probably run the command
> in a TTY to check the output, but you'll get different results.
>
> There are not many programs that have such TTY/pipe behavior.  The only
> ones that come to mind are "ps" (where output is truncated at screen
> width)

Indeed, I've always thought it would be wonderful if "ps" could
auto-page its output when run on TTY if the output is larger/longer than
a screen.

It's just plain annoying to run a command, realize that the one piece of
information you wanted is truncated out of the screen, and then have to
run it second time with " | less" added.

--
Mathieu