On 07/17/2013 12:06 PM, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
On Wednesday 17 July 2013 03:20:42 Lennart Poettering wrote:

 > As mentioned before, if people run programs that require

 > /var/log/messages they should simply install rsyslog and be done with

 > it.

That terribly sounds like "my way or the high way".

Many people have raised concerns not only about having /var/log/messages
in the base installation but about needing/wanting *simple text* logs by
default as well.

I for one, advocate against having to use a (forced)tool to read log
files.
So do I.

IMO, log files need to be readable without any special tools, because log files often are being read in cases of emergencies/breakdown (occasionally even from other OSes), when one can not rely on the tools being available or usable.

>  Even when you think it's better, many *do not*.

ACK-

Ralf