On 07/17/2013 08:20 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 09:21:39AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
On 07/17/2013 12:58 AM, Ding Yi Chen wrote:
You still have not addressed the third party programs and scripts
that monitor /var/log/messages
We honestly cant keep progress and cleanup in the distribution back
out of fear of breaking some third party programs.
Irrespective of whether journald is good or bad, this is a dumb
argument.
Dumb I see so you have established a time frame for us how long we
should  hold back progress  in the project and or you have devised an
implementation plan on features and cleanups with a rate that a third
party can keep up with in the distribution, maybe even chosen which
third parties we wait for and which we dont?

You think it's good for the community to be dependent on third party I
dont since think we should first and foremost be thinking about
ourselves and our community not some third party of the interweb or even
a downstream distribution to us like like RHEL.

We as a community need to be able to set the pace for ourselves and the
fact is unless you are closed source the best thing you can do as a
third party is actually participate in the Fedoraproject, packaging you
software or application stack and ship it within the distribution so
that our existing processes will catch any fallout which our features or
cleanups might bring and allow for the community to actually fix it with
your or for you.

JBG
But it seems the community is only the people driving all these changes, what about the
"whole user" community,
not just the developer community

--
Stephen Clark