Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de> writes:

> [...]
>> How about this idea.  Before "No Defualt Syslog", systemd needs to
>> completely replicate all functionality provided by syslog, including
>> /var/log/messages, by default.  Syslog emulation would be an option, and if
>> people don't want it, they can still turn that option off.  But by default,
>> everyone can still grep /var/log/messages.
>
> Not. Gonna. Happen.

OK, how about this other idea.  Include a default-on systemd service
that runs

   journalctl --full -f > /var/log/messages

in the background.

> The journal is not an implementation of syslog, we already have that in
> rsyslog. Also, the feature is about ending the duplicate storage of the
> log messages [...]

Considering log rotation, and an effect of the above (> vs >>) being
that only the current boot interval would be logged in the text file,
there would not be much savings to worry about.  Perhaps this could
be an acceptable compromise.

- FChE