Am 21.07.2013 16:05, schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 08:58:39AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> it. Yet the "something better" never materialized. When I had a disk go
>> wrong lately I was notified by the big ugly legacy system. I had *zero*
>> notification by all the "better" systems that were given as "evidence".
>> Because the "better" systems do not exist. None of the 'smtpd is legacy"
>> complainers have actually tried to solve the (remote) notification
>> problem, none of them actually understand the reliability and operational
>> constrains, or that being to define message routing (via aliases,
>
> Sure they do. I can't imagine an installation of any size (eg more than 2
> systems) not using Nagios, Icigna, or some other alerting system.
>
> If you're in the narrow case between a desktop system and an installation
> where real monitoring and alerting is worth it, install an MTA

the problem i see is when things like MTA and rsyslog are
removed from the defualt install many pakcgers will less
care about them in the future nor test how well it works

if here is not taken really care over the long the capability
write wahtever shellscript for a cronjob and whatever goes
wrong echo it simply to produce a notify mail may disappear
as well as such outputs can be large and are not for the journal