On Fri, 19.07.13 20:12, Miloslav Trmač (m...@volny.cz) wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> <johan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Irrespective of whether journald is good or bad, this is a dumb
> >> argument.
> >
> > Dumb I see so you have established a time frame for us how long we should
> > hold back progress  in the project and or you have devised an implementation
> > plan on features and cleanups with a rate that a third party can keep up
> > with in the distribution, maybe even chosen which third parties we wait for
> > and which we dont?
>
> Progress does not that frequently depend on removing older
> functionality.  Specifically in this case, removing rsyslog does not
> make journal in any way better.

It certainly makes *Fedora* better though, by making the core less
redundant and decreasing its footprint.

> The same thinking applies to individual sets of APIs and other
> interfaces: write the new implementation, write a compatibility layer
> for old users that replaces the old implementation, write a test suite
> of the compatibility layer (... or just use the test suite of the
> implementation thing that you should have already), keep the
> compatibility layer shipped and running and forget about the
> transition.  Writing a compatibility layer is roughly the same kind of
> work as porting applications, so with any interface that has at least
> a handful of users a single compatibility layer should in fact be less
> work.  With this approach, it's not at all obvious that one shouldn't
> aim for a backward compatibility 100 years back[1][2].
>     Mirek

Note that the journal provides this compatbility layer to a fairly
comprehensive degree. We speak the syslog protocol natively so that log
clients don't have to be updated. We provide a pretty much perfect
identical output to /var/log/messages as default from journalctl. We
make it easy to to get the exact files /var/log/messages by forwarding
everything to syslog instantly if it is running.

However, we also go one step further: eventually we remove the old
implementation from the default installation. That's a very gentle push
only, because the old stuff is trivially easy to get back, simply by
installing rsyslog again.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.