On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 13:57 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> 2) We still need to consider use-cases where a cron job or other
> long-running service needs to use credentials given to it by the user,
> though they are no longer signed in. With the current approach, we
> still need to be concerned that the /run/user/UID directory may just
> cease to exist if there are no more active sessions on the machine.

One kind of nontrivial approach, but at least worth thinking about, is
changing cron to keep a zygote process around (with a session) for users
with active cron jobs.

Futhermore if this zygote is terminated, then no cron jobs for the user
will be run.

A nice advantage of this is is say you have an abusive user and do
"killall -u baduser" - they can't "escape" this by scheduling cron jobs.

And cron jobs could theoretically be stored in
~username/.config/<machine-id> instead of /var/spool/cron.