On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 03:26:48PM -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM, John C. Peterson <j...@eskimo.com> wrote:
> > I would like to edit comps.xml to add a new package group for the tools
> > that have already been packaged by the Formal Methods SIG.
> >
> > I propose that the group be located under the "Development" category.
> >
> > Id: formal-methods-tools
> > Name: Formal Methods Tools
> > based on Formal proof methods.
> >
> > The default for the group itself will be false (will not be installed by
> > default). Find below a list of package names to be included in the group
> > with the proposed level (D for default, O for optional). Given that the
> > scope of application of these tools is very diverse, it made sense to
> > me to make most of the packages optional;
> >
> > O alt-ergo
> > O alt-ergo-gui
> > O coq
> > O coq-coqide
> > O coq-doc
> > O coq-emacs
> > O coq-emacs-el
> > O cryptominisat
> > O cryptominisat-devel
> > O csisat
> > O cudd
> > O cvc3
> > O cvc3-devel
> > O cvc3-doc
> > O cvc3-emacs
> > O cvc3-emacs-el
> > O cvc3-java
> > O cvc3-xemacs
> > O cvc3-xemacs-el
> > O E
> > O emacs-common-proofgeneral
> > O emacs-proofgeneral
> > O emacs-proofgeneral-el
> > O flocq
> > O flocq-source
> > D frama-c
> > O gappa
> > O gappalib-coq
> > O glueminisat
> > D minisat2
> > O picosat
> > D prover9
> > O prover9-apps
> > O prover9-devel
> > O prover9-doc
> > O pvs-sbcl
> > O sat4j
> > O stp
> > O stp-devel
> > O tex-zfuzz
> > O why
> > O why-all
> > O why-coq
> > O why-gwhy
> > O why-jessie
> > O why-pvs-support
> > O why3
> > O why3-emacs
> > O zenon
>
> I maintain or comaintain a fair number of these packages.  I
> originally added them to comps under "Engineering and Scientific",
> just because there was no other category that was even remotely close
> to what these packages do.  However, they are not really a great fit
> for that category.  I like John's proposal.  We should probably move
> all of them over to this new category once it is created.  We can
> [...]

I think most users who are familiar with development tools based on Formal
proof methods would look for them under the "Development" category. (So I
agree, most all of the above packages should be moved into the new group).

The polybori, polybori-gui, polybori-ipbori packages certainly seem
like they could be meaningfully listed in both groups. (The provers
based on first order logic like the prover9, prover9-devel packages
seem like candidates as well, since they could be of interest to pure
mathematicians).

--
John C. Peterson, KD6EKQ
mailto:j...@eskimo.com