On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 05:13:03PM -0500, inode0 wrote:
>> How shallow are Fedora contributors if a badge is what it takes to tip
>> them over from being non-voters to being voters? If doing this
>> increases our turnout from 300 voters to 900 voters the only thing
>> I'll conclude is that we have 600 chuckleheads who voted to get a
>> badge. Well, I might also conclude that the thoughtful voters were
>> outnumbered 2 to 1 by the chuckleheads.
>
> It's not the voting-to-get-a-badge that I'm interested in. It's raising the
> visibility of voting as an important part of Fedora participation.

That sounds good but no matter what our intentions badges affect
people's behavior because they want badges. :)

How about something that is more analogous to voter registration? If
you login to the voting app during an election you get a voting badge
of some sort without indicating anything specific about the election?
That would raise awareness without changing the de facto privacy of
voting behavior that has historically been respected by Fedora in
elections?

John