On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 02:11:04PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> (That said, our minimal image is a couple of 100mb still, iirc, so 2mb
> is not thaaaat much.)

It's basically down to the three big unsolved problems (kernel modules,
translations, docs) and then several dozen little things like this. If
getting really small is a priority we need to solve the big problems, but
chipping away at the little things helps too.

> I think nowadays it's either gzip or xz, and everything else is not
> interesting, as the others either are slower or compress worses, and
> most importantly: libgz/liblzma are deps of the core OS anyway and
> included in the minimal image anyway and are also already mapped into
> memory, so come basically free.

+1

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mat...@fedoraproject.org>