Chris Murphy wrote:
So as it turns out some devices get really busy and slow down when TRIM is
used, so not all devices are well suited for discard and therefore it's
probably not a good idea for it to be set by default. It's also not enabled by
default for ssds with btrfs either. And with dm-crypt there's a security
concern in that it exposes massive zero'd holes on the device instead of
current data being obscured by stale data.

[citation needed]

I have 4 SSDs of various manufacturers all used as root and boot drives. All use ext4 and have TRIM enabled. I have yet to experience any perceived slow downs.