Once upon a time, rran...@ihug.com.au <rran...@ihug.com.au> said:
> My USB GPS is a BU-353 which uses a pl2303 USB-Serial Controller
> (idVendor=067b, idProduct=2303). However, bugzilla report 878737
> indicates this same interface chip is used on other devices such as
> RS232-USB adapters.

The PL2303 chip and a few other USB RS232 chips are used in many devices
(as well as straight USB-RS232 adapter cables), however most of them
fail to properly identify themselvs.  Most PL2303 devices don't even
bother to set a serial number, much less sub-IDs, making it almost
impossible to distinguish between them.

This is not a flaw in udev; this is a flaw in how hardware makers use
the chips.  They essentially throw away a couple of decades of "plug and
play" work to assume you'll only ever use their device (a lot of their
Windows "drivers" grab every PL2303 in sight) or you'll manually
configure everything.

The "best" (and I use that term loosely) way to handle many of these
poorly-designed devices is to always plug them in the same USB port, and
then write udev rules that match particular device/bus/port
combinations.

--
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>