On 8 November 2013 00:11, Rahul Sundaram <methe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI
>

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Adam Williamson <awill...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Honestly, I don't think Software is really aimed at your use case, and
>> you may as well just keep using yum. It's meant to be a cool way to find
>> neat software, not a comprehensive package catalog.
>

> Part of the problem that I have with that response is that Fedora will
> provide no gui for a package catalog by default and finding new software is
> often interconnected with installing known software.  You go in looking for
> say openarena and decide to check out what fun new games are available.  You
> want to read about reviews on tmux and screen and decide which one to
> install.   Yum doesn't provide me with a convenient view and yumex isn't
> provide me with any screenshots or reviews.   It would be awfully convenient
> to have a single place for all these related tasks.

Indeed, it's a perennial feature in reviews of new Fedora releases
that the software centre is poor (which I suppose is the inspiration
for this new thing). The Ubuntu one (while it was useful, I know
there's now also some crazy app-store type thing) actually listed
packages, so you could find, for example, the particular package
needed for nvidia support or sshd in the same place as you could
select OpenOffice and have all the components installed. It sounds
like we still wont have a single place gui for package management.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk