On Mon, 2013-11-18 at 11:23 +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I reviewed a package notion, which is a new window
> manager(new to fedorian), it installs desktop file to
> /usr/share/xsession.
>
> Interesting, when I looking into more "window manager" in Fedora, I found
> that:
>
> openbox installs desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions
> pekwm installs desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions
> dwm installs desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions
> ratpoison installs desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions
> fvwm installs desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions
> sawfish installs desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions
> icwm installs desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions
> enlightenment installs desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions
> awesome installs desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions
>
> -------------
> fluxbox installs desktop file to /usr/share/applications
> xmonad installs desktop file to /usr/share/applications
> i3 installs desktop file to /usr/share/applications
> mutter installs desktop file to /usr/share/applications
> byobu installs desktop file to /usr/share/applications
>

> So I think that maybe  these have been doing wrong for years? Should I
> file RFE for these?

No. These files serve different purposes.

Files in /usr/share/applications are to make applications known to the
desktop shell (the fact that mutter installs a desktop file there is
more or less a historic remnant - we could probably remove it without
harm).

Files in /usr/share/xsessions tell the display manager which sessions to
offer to the user on the login screen.