Hi,

On 01/20/2014 07:19 PM, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 7:48 AM, Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:
Hi,

On 01/20/2014 03:18 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:08:01AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

So now it is time to start looking into some of the corner cases, or
rather at
the elephant in the room. What about non-kms drivers. We still have the
vesa
driver around as most prominent example, and this is useful for some
oddball
cards and for cards which are too new.

-mga is probably also still relevant in some small number of cases.

Don't we've a kms driver for those? Or you mean for mga cards not supported
by
the kms driver?

We can probably kill -cirrus. That would leave -openchrome, which I think
is probably only really relevant for OLPC? What's the situation with the
binary nvidia and amd drivers?

Oh, I completely did not think about the binary drivers yet. Ugh. AFAIK
those
are not compatible with kms, so the helper for other ums drivers would just
do
the right thing there since there would be no kms capable card to be found
in /dev.

I would like to not break the vesa driver, while still killing the suid
bit on
the X server.

It's probably worth considering whether porting uvesafb to kms would be
worthwhile, and then just using -modesetting.

Yes that is something I was thinking about too, that would be an interesting
approach,
it would make it somewhat harder for people to use binary drivers, but not
impossible.

Does uvesafb actually work?  I submitted a patch to the uvesafb kernel
driver a few months back, and not only is the upstream link [1][2] to
the v86d helper dead, but no one on the dri-devel list answered my
request to see if anyone had a copy.  Fedora does not appear to
package a copy (at least yum whatprovides '*/v86d' doesn't come up
with anything).  This means that I got a patch into upstream drm and
that it's quite possible that no one (or maybe a grand total of one
person) has ever tested.

Or do you mean the older pre-uvesafb driver?

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb
[2] http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/fb/uvesafb.txt

Thanks for this info. It does indeed some not that widely used / tested atm.
But if we change it to a kms driver an ship it by default that would certainly
change.

As for v86d, if I google for just "v86d" the first hit is:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/v86d

And that still has a link to a tarbal with sources.

Regards,

Hans