Agreed. But the difference is that using full commits  a history rewrite
will always be detected. Using a tag is making it possible for upstream to
bind the same tag to a different commit. And since it's possible, it will
happen.

It's a shame there is no way to block forced updates on github. It's a
little bit to easy to make a history rewrite there.