On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 04:19:38PM +0100, drago01 wrote:
> You forgot the part where you explain how / why Fedora.next solves all
> this issues. Some like "cloud and server usage" is more or less clear
> (focus product) but the rest is a bot hand weavy. For instance why
> should any of the changes make people suddenly care about the
> distribution they use if you think they don't.

To address your "for instance" specifically, I think there's two concrete
steps (which I hope you can see in the Cloud PRD).

First, emphasize unique things we have at the base level which *should* be
of interest. For example, SELinux around Docker containers makes them have
reasonable security (rather than just being resource division). No one else
has that, so it's a good selling point. (Or will be once it's actually
implemented.) Or, better integration of an orchestration layer (although
that's somethin that we are not readay to tackle yet.)

Second, give people what they *do* care about: choices of language stacks
above the base level, and a layer of separation so that there isn't a big
impact when the base layer changes. To quote someone I talked to: No
distribution does that well, so if you can, you'd really have something
valuable to me.

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mat...@fedoraproject.org>