On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Adam Williamson <awill...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 10:03 -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
>
>> This reminds me: I *always* install with a GPT partition table, an ESP
>> partition, a BIOS Boot partition, and a smallish (1 or 2 GB) ext4
>> /boot near the beginning of the disk.  All Linuxes seem perfectly
>> happy to install this way (assuming you can figure out how to
>> partition the disk like that in the first place) and booting that way
>> in BIOS or EFI mode.  Given that this wastes at most a few MB, should
>> anaconda just partition like that by default?
>
> Definitely not. We tried doing BIOS installs to GPT disks by default in
> Fedora 16, and it was basically a complete disaster.

What failed?  I'm guessing that userspace improvements since then have
mostly fixed this.  I've never seen any problem on F18 (IIRC) and up
with GPT partition tables being BIOS-booted.  It seems to Just Work
(tm).

Also, isn't this already sort of necessary on large disks?

(I maintain at least ten machines like this, running Fedora and
various Ubuntus, some installed graphically and some installed by
untarring a system image.  I haven't had any problem at all.)

--Andy