On 03/07/2014 10:59 AM, H. Guémar wrote:
Hi,

I don't think that worrying about perpetuating offensive stereotypes
is specifc to the US, we have similar controversies in Europe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banania#Controversy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet#Controversies

Well, read the second article. "92% of the Dutch public don't perceive Zwarte Piet as racist". I'm not saying it is or is not, or that it should or should not be fixed; I'm saying that there is a culture where this is not perceived as a big deal, as opposed to USA where political correctness is a big deal.

Anyway, the line between what is acceptable and unacceptable in Fedora
should be that no one should be offended by something that directly
refers to him or his origins in a negative or hurtful way.

My point is that the list "him/her and his/her origins" seems rather arbitrary. Why is e.g. "his/her religion" not on the list? I'm not saying where the line should be drawn, that is obviously something a single person (or a single culture) shouldn't decide.

(By the way, excluding females by saying "he" when you mean anybody is seriously offensive to some. Again, from what I can tell, this is a big issue in the American culture.)

I have no opinion about the Cherokee logo, as an European citizen, it
looks to me very innocent (a little child playing) but if it offends
native americans, it should be fixed anyway.

I also don't see how anyone could be offended by it, but I understand that there is a culture that I don't understand :)

--
Petr³