On 03/11/2014 02:46 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 10.3.2014 17:10, Toshio Kuratomi napsal(a):
>> At last week's FESCo meeting, the fact that Products desired to
>> have divergent configuration was briefly touched on.  On
>> Thursday, a few FPC members had a brainstorming session about it
>> and on Friday, sgallagh and that brainstorming continued with
>> sgallagh, adamw, tflink, notting, and myself.  We came up with a
>> tentative idea here:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Toshio/Product_Divergence_(config)

The idea is to allow config file divergence via the alternatives system as
>> that already provides us with a commandline tool and some
>> structure to
> build
>> on.  We'd still have to write a few pieces to complete the
>> picture but it seemed to be a better starting point than using
>> rpm Conflicts between config-packages.
>>
>> Anyone have thoughts on this potential path?
>>
>> -Toshio
>>

> With rich dependencies coming to Fedora, wouldn't be better to wait
> for a bit and benefit from them? We would have product specific
> configuration in subpackages and installed it such as "Requires:
> fedora-product-cloud & foo-config-cloud; Requires:
> fedora-product-server & foo-config-server".

That unfortunately doesn't address the issue in a realistic way. I
don't think there's a way that dependency resolution can resolve that
in a positive way. The closest I can see coming up with would be:

== foo ==
Requires: foo-config

== foo-config-server ==
Provides: foo-config = 1.0
Conflicts: fedora-release-workstation
Conflicts: fedora-release-cloud

== foo-config-workstation ==
Provides: foo-config = 1.0
Conflicts: fedora-release-server
Conflicts: fedora-release-cloud

== foo-config-cloud ==
Provides: foo-config = 1.0
Conflicts: fedora-release-workstation
Conflicts: fedora-release-server

== foo-config-default ==
Provides: foo-config = 2.0
Conflicts: fedora-release-workstation
Conflicts: fedora-release-server
Conflicts: fedora-release-cloud

So, if installed on a Product, yum would resolve whichever config
subpackage doesn't hit any conflicts (which would be the matching
version or the default, if not on a product).

There are a couple down-sides to this approach:
1) It eliminates the possibility of having multiple Products installed
on the same system. Whether we care about this is being debated
elsewhere, but this approach would make it impossible.
2) It might make life a real pain in the neck to deal with adding new
Products to Fedora, since any package providing custom authentication
will have to tweak Provides: and Conflicts: to ensure that the new
Product gets reasonable defaults.