On Mar 14, 2014, at 1:06 PM, "Eric H. Christensen" <spa...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 06:59:18PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, and I believe the kick start would do that. I would also even see a
>>> case
>>> where an admin takes the base policy and tailors it with site specific
>>> settings
>>> and puts that into effect instead of the default one we provide. I like the
>>> idea of choice.
>>
>> Exactly, this is functionality that makes sense for enterprise and
>> automated deployments. I don't see it making sense for an interactive
>> install.
>
> You're making an assumption that I wouldn't want my personal box to be
> hardened at install or that the enterprise has an automated way of doing a
> deployments.  Why make it harder to use the operating system when a simpler
> way of configuration has been suggested?

I think Matthew is making a reasonable assumption that many (probably even
most) other users will become confused to the point of being disturbed by
something that seems to require their attention, has a UI with terms they
aren't likely familiar with, while suggesting choices, yet at the moment
there's only one policy (?) so why is a UI needed for this right now?

This is usually what kickstart installs are for.

> The feature isn't going to be a massive change to the UI and only adds to the
> awareness that users have a choice on how hardened their system is at install
> time.  Whether you chose to use it is your business.

At this point it doesn't appear to need a UI. There's no off or on switch, or
opt in or opt out. There's one policy. I'd say even with three policies
available I'm much better off with a slider that says Standard Security - More
Secure - Most Secure. I mean, that's sufficiently dumbed down I still don't
know what those things actually mean in terms of policy or behaviors, but
relative to each other I've made a more informed decision than what I'm
currently presented with. I mean honestly how complicated does an OS install
need to be? It's like piling on the user.

It does need a default, like Timezone spoke, even though sometimes that too is
set wrong for a particular user. The default avoids the requirement the user
enter the spoke. It should be a minimum recommended security policy.

The next question I have is how this spoke can affect other spokes, as well as
affect the installation process itself? What I'm looking for is some assessment
of impact on QA resources needed to test this feature, if any resources are
needed at all. If there's no default but the user must interact with this spoke
to proceed with installation, that's definitely a QA impact. There's maybe one
or two toothbrush wrappers of spare resources in QA (and I'm already imagining
Adam feverishly writing a reply, "UMMM, I don't think so, where?!") So if it's
even remotely possible for a security policy to be chosen that later causes
some sort of install, or even a first boot failure to happen - that's too much
QA impact right now, short of a recruitment drive.

Chris Murphy