On Wed, 19.03.14 13:13, Chris Murphy (li...@colorremedies.com) wrote:

> I agree, although I go farther. The EFI System partition doesn't
> scale, isn't resilient, can neither be mirrored nor easily sync'd
> (multidevice boot). It should be considered a pre-boot and OS
> installer domain only.

You know, the ESP is actually FAT, one of the simplest, best-understood,
most used, and most stable file systems around. Sure, one can always
break things, but it is simply misguided to believe that this is the
part that will likely break and that we really really really need to
stay away from, and not the later parts of the boot that involve grub
and raid, and yuck.

You know, by creating a chain of many steps where you first go for
the ESP, and then follow that by another boot partition and so on, you
just make things more complex.

If you want things robust, make them simple. Sure, keep writing to the
ESP at a minimum, but don't play games of just moving those writes to
another boot partition that is a lot more fragile. You are not helping
anyone with that...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat