On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:04:51AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> So here's the thing daemons and applications are inconsistent in
> their support for libwrap like for example sshd supports it while
> smbd does not which leads to incorrect configuration and
> administrative expectation which in itself poses a security risk.

That's an excellent point; inconsistency across the distribution is
definitely points-off for tcp wrappers.

> The only way administrator can figure out which daemon/service was
> built with libwrap support, is via ldd/string grep magic since we as
> an distribution have not provide them with a list which do support
> it and which do not,nor do we have those component correctly depend
> on libwrap.so.0.

Can you point to an example of this? Since it is a compiled dynamic
library, RPM's automatic dependency checking should get this. Try
`repoquery --whatrequires tcp_wrappers-libs`.

Speaking of inconsistency, I notice syslog-ng in that list but not
rsyslogd. (And as previously noted, there's sendmail and exim, but not
postfix.)

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mat...@fedoraproject.org>