On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 17:51 -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> There was a bug about that in the past, but we rejected changing the default
> range. Libvirt and xen and qemu have all used the assumption of starting at
> port 5900 for too long, we didn't want to deal with any potential fallout for
> something that affects a small number of users, and that nowadays has a manual
> workaround.
>
> vino could always be extended to try a little harder/smarter to find a free
> port, which libvirt has done for years.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Just a couple points in favor of changing
qemu/libvirt...

#1) If someone is using a normal desktop and vino finds a collision it
has no way of informing the user. It could find a free port but telling
someone to connect to my host, I have no way of knowing what port it is
using without going into a terminal and looking for listening ports. The
libvirt/qemu would continue to work by default if the default was set to
something else. In qemu.conf and I presume the other backends
libvirt/virt-manager supported.

#2) In the case where an admin/user wants to have access to the VM host
from a *remote* host. They have to change some configuration since
qemu-system-x86_64 is only listening on 127.0.0.1 not on any external
interface. At this point the admin is not likely configuring this on a
desktop and if they are can specify any port they'd like and should
realize that if they are using vino (or something similar), they have to
use different ports. (Which I would know too - I just didn't know why
qemu was listening on that port when I didn't have any gui up accessing
that host...).

#3) Based on bugs I've seen on gnome I can't see them changing it much.
(I just posted a bug to vinagre/ a vnc/rdp client) which doesn't notify
the user of a password prompt *or* to accept a certificate on SSL
connections. The devs basically said don't use vinagre, use the command
line program that is being used by vinagre. Kinda odd...

So I understand if nothing gets changed but it would be nice if it was
reconsidered. I may not understand all the implications but if the
default local port was configured to not collide. I dunno, I'd enjoy
it. :) Granted I'm enjoying it at the moment anyway.

Thanks,
--
Nathanael