On 04/16/2014 06:46 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:

I understand the pull vs push distinction ... I'm just not clear why pull
would ever be a model you'd want to use. (vs something like a local cockpit
agent.)

Isn't remote Windows event logging pull-only (unless you somehow gate it to syslog)? So it would be consistent.

Back in the old days, there was a lot of loathing going around for Windows event logging. People loved syslog, but really hated the Windows counterpart. The pull model was criticized as well, but I'm not sure if it was really pulling stuff or the bad interaction with other design considerations (like the need for DLLs with parsers for the log blobs).

Does anybody know what the current Windows experience is like, especially related to the pull model?