On 23 April 2014 02:29, Christian Schaller <cscha...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Mairin,
> Not sure exactly where you are coming from in terms of wanting legal
> to weigh in, but in general I don't think legals opinion is very relevant
> and this point. The first step here should always be us as a project
> deciding what
> user experience we want to offer our users, then once that is done go to
> legal
> and try to work with them to figure out how it can be done.

The reason was that Legal was the big reason the rules are in place in the
first place. They are not just in place because of software patents. They
are in place because of different national laws on copyright, what is
considered to be infringement or redistribution by even linking, trademark
use (also dependent on nation etc), competition rules, and a probably
another dozen other factors.  Trying to ignore that and say we will try and
work with legal after we have decided what we want to do is taking a long
walk on a short pier.. you end up getting wet.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.