On 04/24/2014 08:39 AM, Paul Wouters wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014, Florian Weimer wrote:

I don't think "openssl genrsa 2048" has this issue on today's
machines.  (I know I saw it with GNUTLS.)

I was sceptical, so I tried this on a freshly booted VM:

root@bofh:~# virsh start north
Domain north started
root@bofh:~# ssh root@north
Last login: Wed Apr 23 11:54:46 2014
[root@north ~]# time openssl genrsa 2048
[...]
real    0m0.382s
user    0m0.267s
sys    0m0.003s

Call me very surprised! We finally have real entropy in VMs now. Good news!

That is surprising, I wonder if it's using /dev/random or /dev/urandom. Twice I've done an install of freeipa on a freshly installed vm and both times it wouldn't start. I finally figured out that named needs to read from /dev/random when starting up the first time and it wasn't getting anything. The first time I ran the command manually telling it to use /dev/urandom. The second time I ran it manually and did a lot of filesystem and network access, hoping that it would generate entropy. Which it did seem to do as the command ran successfully.