On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY <kkeit...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/05/2014 10:28 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 2014-05-04 at 18:59 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>>> however, the semantics of /usr/sbin is to contain superuser
>>> binaries which should not be overriden because a binary
>>> with the same name exists in /usr/bin
>>

>> My memory is that the "s" was more for "static" not "superuser".
>> There's some conceptual overlap, static binaries being there to recover
>> even if your shared libraries are hosed which is normally a "superuser"
>> kind of operation, but.
>

> My recollection is that the "s" in /sbin and /usr/sbin was more "system"
> level management. Things an admin would need but would not usually be needed
> by an ordinary user.
>
> Binaries in /bin and /sbin would have been statically linked to aid in
> recovering a system in single-user mode when /usr might not be mounted, in
> the days when disks were so small that /usr might often be a separate disk.

Hi,

From the hier(7) man page:

/bin   This directory contains executable programs which are needed in
single user mode and to bring the system up or repair it.

/sbin  Like /bin, this directory holds commands needed to boot the
system, but which are usually not executed by normal users.

/usr   This  directory  is  usually mounted from a separate partition.
 It should hold only sharable, read-only data, so that it can be
mounted by various machines running Linux.

You can take a look at the FHS too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Dridi