On Tue, 13 May 2014 19:23:50 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > I would think you would need to step through the BR:'s get the capabilities
> > of the packages that the -devel package pull in, and then check that against
> > the requires of the resultant packages.
>
> BR's don't always map/result into any dependencies in binary packages.

True. That makes them interesting though. ;-) Even more interesting than
superfluous/unneeded BR.

There are packages that specify BR intentionally, but the build process
doesn't find the specified stuff and doesn't fail either. As a result, some
feature is missing. Or an executable is missing that doesn't make the spec
file fail either because of '*' wildcards in the %files list.

Work-arounds? Check that a configure script would fail when explicitly
requesting a feature with a --enablefoo or --with-foo options. Add guards
to the spec file more often than not. E.g. grep configure script output,
examine files in the buildroot, add file-existance checks in the %check
section if not in the %files list.