On 09/23/2014 02:37 AM, Matthias Runge wrote:
On 22/09/14 17:18, Haïkel wrote:
Proposals are supposed to provide travel costs from pre-determined
airports at the *targeted* period.
If I trust informations from the proposals, SLC would be too expensive
to cover travel expenses for EMEA folks.

A brief look revealed, a trip e.g. to Cape Cod would cost (in August) at
least US$ 2500 (cheap motel and a flight, not covering anything else). I
assume, that's a bit over the limit?

E.g. in June, flights to Boston are US$ 850 vs US$ 1400 in August. Maybe
it's a good idea to move the conference out of main holiday season?

Are you located in EMEA or APAC? Because Flock alternates between North America and EMEA I think partially because of this reason...

As one of the folks who put together a bid - I wasn't aware dates far outside of August were really an option - we definitely could have gotten much better rates outside of the high vacation season (late spring would have worked really well.) I was told going outside of the summer makes it more difficult for Europeans to travel because it falls outside of their vacation time. If this isn't the case and it makes it harder, I agree we need to re-evaluate the time of year for the conference.

Although I'm pretty sure it was moved to July/August in the first place because people complained about Fedora conferences mostly being in snowy places during the winter! You really can't win - bringing so many people from so many places together in one place requires a lot of compromise.

~m