On Tue, 2014-11-18 at 11:15 +0200, Nikos Roussos wrote:
> >> I'm talking about the "advertisement" part. Some people seem to be
> >> bothered by this alone. Tiles feature indeed promotes some websites, but
> >> we already do that.
> >
> > No, actually we don't. We promote websites because we honestly think
> > they're useful, not because we're paid to do so.
>
> That's irrelevant. Paid or not, promoting websites through tiles or
> gnome-shell is the same form of advertisement.

Money is not irrelevant.  Paid advertising is how we wound up with
pop-ups, hover ads, etc.  The question is whether or not we can trust
Mozilla to steer clear of such things.  So far there seems to be no
reason to trust Mozilla -- the ads are opt-out, they only sometimes
respect DNT, and they are being pushed despite the backlash from
Mozilla's community.

At the very least Fedora should turn this feature off.  My computer
should only become a platform for displaying commercial ads if I
explicitly opt-in to such a feature.

-- Ben