On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 20:27:37 -0800,
 "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn...@znmeb.net> wrote:

PostgreSQL is a good example - 9.4 is in the release candidate stage
right now and will probably be declared stable within a month. If it
doesn't at least make it into updates-testing before F22, I'll be
adding 9.4 from the PostgreSQL project's RPM repos or building it from
source. I need a major new feature - Binary indexable JSON storage.
GDAL and QGIS are other examples; I ran for a couple of months
building gdal 1.11.0 from source and installing QGIS from non-Fedora
repos because I needed those features and they weren't in
updates-testing.

In the past Postgresql has not been updated during a release. Typically the new Postgresql version had to be out by the Fedora beta of the release it first appeared in. So mostly likely Postgresql 9.4 will never be a normal update for F21. There is an option to make it a copr, but I think that Postrgesql makes compatible RPMs for people that what to run specific versions regardless of what comes with a distro.

Postgresql is a special case though, because upgrading a database is something that needs a lot of caution.