----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 12:54:59PM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> > Why we can't have something like this?  And if you don't want a popup
> > asking, have something in the NetworkManager applet menu, where people
> > can easily find the switch without having to search for it?  A "[x]
> > allow sharing" checkbox?  A firewall zone selector?
>
> We can — we just need someone to design and write it.

A design for something that we don't want to implement. This was one of the
options when implementing the feature, one that we didn't pursue. We chose
instead to use "user intent" as a way to do this.

If you start sharing something on a network, then we consider it safe to share.
If you connect to a public unencrypted Wi-Fi, you won't have the option to. If
you connect to an encrypted Wi-Fi where sharing your holiday photos isn't
acceptable
then it won't, because you didn't ask it to in the first place.