[ re: https://getfedora.org/ ]

Reindl Harald composed on 2014-12-11 01:06 (UTC+0100):

> Felix Miata composed:

>> Actions speak louder than words. The need to zoom 3X-6X to reach legible a
>> legible state belies "polished, easy to use".

> no need to zoom anything and as said my eyes are really not good

Your image hasn't presented anything useful, because you offered insufficient
context to know what it is that you see when you look at what you captured.
All we know is "my eyes are not really good", whatever that means. We have no
idea what your screen size is, what your resolution is, or what the distance
between eyes and screen is. IOW, the physical size presented to you is
utterly absent. Thus there is no basis for us to determine whether what you
see would be legible outside of your personal viewspace.

>> [1] here, ~42.25% the size of text that would likely be optimal only if black
>> on white, closer to 20% of optimal size with the low contrast level actually
>> used

> really?

Really! Here is your image as presented to me, placed at its intrinsic size
into the context of what is presented to me here by my display. In order to
actually be presented with what is presented to my eyes, one must view these
images with adequate context reproduced locally. At a minimum, such context
requires viewing the following images such that a ruler can be put on the
display screen to measure the incorporated sizing blocks at exactly the
widths indicated. Each needs to be 1" wide (aka 25.4mm) neither more, nor less.

http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/fedoget1412-1440-144.jpg (144 DPI)
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/fedoget1412-2048-120.jpg (120 DPI)

What I was actually looking at while composing my previous thread message,
and this, more closely approximates the latter, in that this screen's density
is a direct match, while the former is from a 20% higher density screen. Yet
higher density screens are fairly common now. Those using them and not
applying defensive measures (e.g. zoom, disabled site styles, minimum font
size) can be expected to be experiencing even poorer legibility on loading
getfedora.org.

To provide yourself context very roughly similar to that used to make those
captures, load http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/sc-fedoget1412.html into a Gecko or
KHTML web browser. If your screen density isn't a match to either of those
used to make those images, you still won't be presented with what is
presented here. That's because the size of a pixel depends on screen density,
which is *a* reason why CSS should never size text or text containers in px,
as getfedora.org and most of the rest of the web are doing.