On 02/05/2015 04:30 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Here's a good example of problems with (the current approach for)
> online updates for Firefox:
>
>   Flash plugin up to date but Firefox keeps telling me that I have the
>   old version: http://unix.stackexchange.com/q/174210/2511

Ignoring the fact that Flash player is not updated by the system package
manager, Flash player is an example of a non-leaf package whose updates
could affect other applications.

But in this case, it would seem much less disruptive to prompt the user
to restart their browser. Unlike rebooting the whole system, that can be
done quickly and with no loss of state.

On Ubuntu, Firefox prompts the user to relaunch Firefox after plugins or
the application itself are updated. This appears to be accomplished by a
small Firefox extension that monitors the plugin directory for updates
(see https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+package/xul-ext-ubufox).