On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 01:37:23PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-03-30 at 16:17 -0400, Neil Horman wrote:

> > > This in practice isn't a safe assumption. People do legitimately
> > > discuss closed bugs, including requesting and providing
> > > information.
> > > "Closed" does not always imply "no further discussion is needed or
> > > desired".
> >
> > I would assert the opposite to be true.  That is to say a state of
> > "closed" by
> > definition implies that a bug no longer needs discussion or
> > consideration.  In
> > the converse, a bug that is still receiving updates in the form of
> > comments,
> > likely should not be in the state "closed".
>
> Dictating use of BZ is usually a futile effort, in Fedora. We have a
> policy on it which is in practice rarely observed by anyone. What
> should or should not be the cause is pretty much moot: what *is* the
> case is that it makes sense to some of our BZ users to not treat
> CLOSED in the way you advocate. BZ is, fundamentally, a tool, and
> tools usually get used in the way that makes sense to the user.

Ok, I agree that dictating use is typically futile, everyone uses bugzilla in a
slightly different way, like it or not.  However, in this particular case we
have a tool (some bot that scans bugzilla sending us emails about them), that
handles interpretation of that data in way thats different from what many of us
humans interpret it (that is to say, it ignores the closed state when we
consider it to mean a bugzilla no longer needs review/commentary).  Humans I can
understand having different views, but the tools should provide the humans with
what we need here.  In this case I think that means one of the following:

1) Require that the bot ignore bugs that are closed (assuming a majority
consensus agrees, which I understand isn't likely to happen)

2) Require that the bot be configurable by individuals to optionally ignore (1)

3) Update bugzilla to automatically reopen closed bugs that receive a new
comment or status change (not a fan of this)

4) Some other solution I've not thought of yet

Just accepting that the tools send us email for bz's we're not interested in
doesn't seem like a reasonable solution here.

Neil