There's no point in this being ideological, Fedora should tolerate the
RTC being in local time. Since the dawn of Windows, it's behaved very
consistently with respect to RTC time being local time. This is even
acknowledged in the UEFI spec as well, which permits local time plus
timezone plus daylight savings time metadata. There's just no excuse
for any distribution basically being a jerk and punishing the user
over Microsoft's ancient decisions.

The last time I tested this, it was on a UEFI laptop with Windows 8.1
and either Fedora 21 and 22 pre-alpha. I don't recall the details
partly because it was confusing at the time and a non-priority to
track down. Since the RTC clearly indicated local time and the
timezone, there was absolutely no reason for Fedora to flip out but it
was consistently changing the RTC every boot. Window would do the same
thing but would be delayed by an hour or so before it figured things
out. But in the midst of doing piles of clean installs of Windows and
Fedora, at some point Fedora settled on the idea of honoring the RTC
in local time while timedatectl warned of this and that it might cause
problems because it wasn't entirely supported.

Time in UTC is just as absurd and arbitrary as time in a local
timezone, so if Windows is going to get berated for not dealing with
UTC properly, then Fedora can be berated for not dealing with local
time properly.

--
Chris Murphy