On 05/21/2015 10:11 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> The BuildRequires section of the guidelines has been revised; the
> exceptions list is gone.  The release engineering folks are free to
> define the buildroot and rpm is free to change its dependency list.
>  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#BuildRequires_2
>  *
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Packaging%3AGuidelines&diff=413629&oldid=409506
>  * https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/497

Can we get a build-essential package instead that requires everything
that is needed to get a working C and C++ compiler, and run most
autoconf/automake/libtool-generated scripts (but not the autotools
themselves)?

In my opinion, it is a bad use of developer time to track what programs
exactly are called from ./configure, and how these programs match
sed/grep/coreutils.  It would also  give us a central place where we can
fix breakage due to missing packages in build roots because a
significant fraction of packages got a build-required package through an
indirect dependency.